Wednesday, April 09, 2008

A Visitor, Outlandish, and Other Things...



The girls and I are enjoying a few days with my hubby on a much needed vacation for him.
And here's a quick post of ten things about myself for my blogger friend, Karin, who tagged me a while back. :) (as personal as i can get on this page).

  1. I'm a youth worker in my part of the world. Have been since I was a teenager, and missed it sorely in Baghdad. Thankfully I'm back at it.
  2. I majored in Biology at university, graduated with honors. :) Never was sure exactly what I wanted to do, until today. :)
  3. I'm very close to my siblings and my husband's siblings. I have two brothers and four sisters, and I'm the second child/first daughter.
  4. I've lived in Texas, Chicago and Northern Virginia/DC metropolitan area, my home for the last 19/20 years (since I was an 8 year old). I love Va! And as a true northern Virginian, I have to point out that that there's Virginia, and then there's northern Virginia. Very different.
  5. I did an intensive study abroad in Egypt for one year (before Baghdad), where we studied Arabic sciences and Islamic sciences with teachers one on one. It was a treasure of a time. I loved my parents' homeland, its' constantly busy streets, its' kind-hearted people, its' fun, its... but discovered I still missed home (US).
  6. I voted for Bush in 2000 and lived to regret it time and again.
  7. I believe that their is a purpose to our existence, and it is our responsibility to look inside and find our inner soul and connect with our Creator.
  8. My father is living with cancer. He was diagnosed a year and a half ago with non-Hodgkins' lymphoma which has spread to his bone marrow, and is thus lymphatic leukemia. It's non-aggressive, so he's not receiving any treatments (just routinely following up with his doctor). Please keep him in your prayers. He's a great man who *usually* listens to the voice of reason when we talk to him. :) I love him for that amongst everything else. He's hoping to make Hajj for the first time this next year, so make dua'a for him!
  9. I had a hard time living in Baghdad, every day there was my struggle in life. But I feel like my life was super enriched by that experience, and I would have loved it more had I known there was an end in sight. :) Until today, there is no end in sight to my hubby's being there, so I may be going back some day.
  10. And finally, I have a major plug for an event that will interest ANYONE and EVERYONE out there. :) The music group Outlandish is touring the US this summer, and MAS Youth is holding a talent competition, Voices for Change. The winner of that competition (spoken word, poetry, song, etc), will open for Outlandish on their tour. This Voices for Change tour is a unique talent show seeking to bring positive, healthy change to the entertainment industry of today. JOIN the talent search NOW! OR BUY YOUR TICKETS FOR A CONCERT NEAR YOU (Chicago, Dallas, LA, NY, Tampa, Detroit).

3 comments:

Karin said...

SO GREAT dear Fatima .. I love it!! Thanks so much for answering the tag - youy're GREAT!!

Sure I'll say dua'a for your dad, no question ... I hope to GOD he'll be able to go to the hajj!!

HUGS!!

Asiya said...

As salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullaah

Fatima, I'm so happy to hear that the family has been reunited, alhamdu lillaah wa Allaahu Akbar!

Thanks for sharing all those interesting things about yourself with us! Even though I was already aware of most of them, LOL!

Very sad to hear about your father. Rabbana yashfeeh, ameen. Inshaa Allaah he will make hajj and it will be hajj mabroor.

Take care sweetie!

Asiya

Fatima said...

thanks karin and asiya!